mailRe: [stgit-users] storing patch series metadata

Header

Content

Posted by Karl Wiberg on July 07, 2013 - 21:02:
On Sun, Jul 7, 2013 at 5:39 PM, Catalin Marinas <catalin.marinas@xxxxxxx>
wrote:

I would definitely vote for metadata changes (master.stgit branch)
rather than empty commits on the main branch. Such branch may be
exported and we don't want to pollute non-stgit users.

Right.

There are other things which I find useful like small notes for
patches (review comments for example) which could sit nicely in the
metadata.

Git can append notes to commits nowadays, if I recall corectly. I
haven't checked them out closely, but it'd be a shame to invent our
own incompatible mechanism if they'd be a good fit for this.

(It wouldn't surprise me if all of StGit's metadata could be sanely
stored in Git notes, but let's not go there for now unless someone has
a lot of free time on their hands...)

--
Karl Wiberg, kha@xxxxxxxxxxx
   subrabbit.wordpress.com